Go to navigation Go to content
Phone: 619-304-1000
The Turley Law Firm P.C.

What Should I Do If My Doctor Isn't Offering Me The Best Treatment?


How can I get proper medical treatment if my doctor isn't providing it?

If you are an injured worker in California, and your doctor isn't providing you with satisfactory medical care, you have a few options. It depends on whether you have reached Maximum Medical Improvement (MMI) / Permanent and Stationary (P&S) status. Meaning, your doctor has declared you aren't going to get any better from your injury. This article focuses on getting a new doctor before you have been released from treatment. This article discusses California workers' compensation law only.


Get a Second Opinion

If you have not been declared MMI / P&S, you can select another doctor for a second opinion on your employer's Medical Provider Network (MPN). First, you need to go on-line and find the MPN list of doctors. If you don't find it on-line, make a request in writing for your employer's MPN list.

Of course, care must be taken to actually choose the right doctor on the MPN list. This is where a seasoned workers comp attorney really helps. An experienced California workers compensation lawyer will know - or can find out - which doctors on the MPN are more likely to be "patient advocates" and which ones are insurance company hacks.


What if my employer doesn't have an MPN?

If your employer doesn't have an MPN, then you can request a second opinion of your choosing. Again, you need to take care to choose the right doctor. In other words, you don't want to go from one insurance company doctor to another.

It is important that you make your request for a second opinion before you are declared MMI / released from treatment. Getting a second opinion after you have been declared MMI is a much tougher issue.


Don't wait until it is too late!

Thus, if you anticipate your workers' compensation primary care physician is going to release you from treatment at your next appointment; you need to immediately request a second opinion (see above).

If the workers' compensation carrier refuses to allow a second opinion, you need to immediately contact a seasoned California workers' compensation attorney. Whatever you do, do not attend the appointment with your primary care doctor if you think they are about to release you from treatment. Because once they declare you MMI, it will be much more difficult to get needed medical care. If you have cancel or postpone your appointment with your primary care doctor - do it.


We Fight for You

The way the California workers' compensation system works is the company doctor will disagree with your doctor over needed medical treatment and disability. This will cause some issue with you getting your financial and medical benefits. This is also when you are going to need the very best lawyer you can find working for you against the insurance company and their own team of expert lawyers.

This is where we come in.

Bill Turley has been practicing law for over 25 years. He specializes in fightinf or injured workers across the world who can't get the medical treatment and financial compensation that they deserve. He knows who the best doctors are in your MPN. He has the experience and skill to win your injury case.

Don't take our word for it, take the word of these sites that specialize in finding the best lawyer for different practices:

Super Lawyer 



Need Help Today?

Give us a call. 619-304-1000

Disclaimer: Please understand these discussions and/or examples are not legal advice. All legal situations are different. This testimonial, endorsement and/or discussion does not constitute a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal matter, your particular case/ situation and/or this particular case/ situation. 

William Turley
Connect with me
“When I seek out professional advice, I don’t want B.S., I want it straight up. I figure you do also.”

Live Chat