Go to navigation Go to content
Phone: 619-304-1000
The Turley Law Firm P.C.

What Should I do If The Longshore Insurance Company Sends Me A Notice of Controversion LS-207?


The LHWCA Insurance Company Sent me a Notice of Controversion -

What Now?

This is a very common question. The simple and easy answer is it's time to lawyer-up. It's time to find the very best Longshore Act Lawyer you can. However, we realize you might want more than "Hire a good LHWCA Lawyer." While this is the best advice we can at least tell you what you are in for.


What Is Form LS-207 (Notice of Controversion)?

This is a form that is about to make your life a whole lot harder. "LS" stands for "Longshore."  under the law, the Navy Exchange/ AAFES is supposed to file an LS-207 (Notice of Controversion) when they cut off your benefits. If you get this notice it means that you need to find a specialized Longshore Act lawyer and fast. You are going to have to fight tooth and nail to get those benefits back and you're going to need all the help you can get. 

Read The Fine Print

The form LS-207 will usually state the reasons why the Navy Exchange/ AAFES is denying your benefits. Read it carefully. Your job is to marshal (read: gather) the evidence in your case to over-come the reason(s) why they are denying your  claim.  In other words you need to go out and get persuasive medical evidence and wage evidence and the like.  This is not time to dilly-dally. You need to jump on it as soon as possible.

Be Ready

In other words, you need to prepare today for the Longshore insurance company cutting off your LHWCA weekly benefits or not approving needed medical care today. This is the number one reason why you need to lawyer up before your benefits are cut off. If you get an LS-207 Notice of Controversion in the mail - - don't wait - immediately hire the best Longshore Lawyer you can find. This is how the Longshore insurance company tells you they are denying your claim.

Your next Step? Emergency Informal Conference

Once you obtain the evidence to overcome the Controversion, your next step must be to request a Telephonic Emergency Informal Conference before the United States Department of Labor. Your request needs to provide the evidence needed to win your claim.

Call 619-304-1000


Disclaimer: Please understand these discussions and/or examples are not legal advice. All legal situations are different. This testimonial, endorsement and/or discussion does not constitute a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal matter, your particular case/ situation and/or this particular case/ situation. 

William Turley
Connect with me
“When I seek out professional advice, I don’t want B.S., I want it straight up. I figure you do also.”