Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 866-705-4617
Phone: 619-234-2833
The Turley & Mara Law Firm, APLC

What if my California Workers Compensation Doctor isn’t providing me proper medical treatment?

Work Injury attorney workers compensation lawyer san diego california san francisco

“When I seek out professional advice, I don’t want B.S. I want it straight up, with no double talk. I figure do also. I always use plain English, with no sugarcoating no B.S lawyer talk, and no double talk- just old fashioned, unsweetened, unvarnished truth-just the way that I would want it.” -Bill Turley

The First Thing You Must Do

The first thing you must do is always tell the truth. No matter what it is you are worried about, you must always be honest and never sugar coat anything to the judge or you attorney. If you do, then you will lose your case. Trust me, I have seen it time and time again. Do not be that person.

Before you even think about signing any forms, order a free copy of my book, Win Your Injury Case. It is loaded with information designed to help you with your case. I will send it to you free of charge, and I will cover shipping as well.

What if my California Workers Compensation Doctor isn't providing proper medical treatment?

If you are an injured worker in California, and your doctor isn't providing you with satisfactory medical care, you have a few options. It depends on whether you have reached Maximum Medical Improvement (MMI) / Permanent and Stationary (P&S) status. Meaning, your doctor has declared you aren't going to get any better from your injury. This article focuses on getting a new doctor before you have been released from treatment. This article discusses California workers compensation law only.

Get a Second Opinion


If you have not been declared MMI / P&S, you can select another doctor  for a second opinion on your employer's Medical Provider Network (MPN). First, you need to go on-line and find the MPN list of doctors. If you don't find it on-line, make a request in writing for your employer's MPN list.


Of course, care must be taken to actually choose the right doctor on the MPN list. This is where a seasoned workers comp attorney really helps. An experienced California workers compensation lawyer will know - or can find out - which doctors on the MPN are more likely to be "patient advocates" and which ones are insurance company hacks.


If your employer doesn't have an MPN, then you can request a second opinion of your choosing. Again, you need to take care to choose the right doctor. In other words, you don't want to go from one insurance company doctor to another.


It is important that you make your request for a second opinion before you are declared MMI / released from treatment. Getting a second opinion after you have been declared MMI is a much tougher issue.


Thus, if you anticipate your workers compensation primary care physician is going to release you from treatment at your next appointment; you need to immediately request a second opinion (see above).


If the workers compensation carrier refuses to allow a second opinion, you need to immediately contact a seasoned California workers compensation attorney. Whatever you do, do not attend the appointment with your primary care doctor if you think they are about to release you from treatment. Because once they declare you MMI, it will be much more difficult to get needed medical care. If you have cancel or postpone your appointment with your primary care doctor - do it.



Do I really need a Work Comp Lawyer?

While you aren't required to have an attorney to file for workers' compensation, it is in your best interest to do so. If you are about to file for workers' compensation benefits, if your claim has been denied, or your benefits have been reduced or terminated don't wait to call us. Please call us, so we can help you or your family member receive a just settlement for workplace injuries.

Workers' Compensation Claims

If you have been injured due to an on the job injury, , whether on a construction site or in a motor vehicle accident on Freeway 5, you want an experienced attorney who will help you get vital medical treatment and full and fair compensation for all your injuries.

At the Turley & Mara Law Firm, APLC lawyers from our firm have represented injured workers since 1987. Contact us so we can begin to help you.


We Focus on the Details So You Can Focus on Your Recovery

Led by founder and principal attorney Bill Turley, our lawyers and professional support staff are fully committed to being accessible and accountable to you. We are in your service and are ready to do all we can to quickly move you through the system and on to rebuilding your life.

Research Your Work Injury Case

This website provides information to injured workers and their families. Our goal is to level the playing field between seriously injured workers and insurance companies. We expose the tricks, traps, and techniques they use to cheat injured workers out of their legal rights. We provide vital information so you can make informed decisions regarding your California workers compensation case.


Injury Attorneys The Community Trusts

The Turley & Mara Law Firm injury attorneys are well known through-out San Diego and California. Our attorneys are recognized as preeminent lawyers.


We Know How To Listen

The people who come to us for help are seriously injured. They never imagined that they could not continue to work. They are worried. They and their families need money for health bills, rent, mortgages, food, school supplies, and all the rest that goes into a satisfying, safe, good life. When you work with us, you'll understand that we understand. We know the value of your case. We have our own families and concerns and truly understand where you are coming from.

To get started, we offer a free consultation. To arrange to talk to our disability specialists, call 619-234-2833 or 866-705-4617

You Can Ask Us A Legal Question For Free

Many attorneys charge hundreds of dollars for an hour of their time. We don't. We know you can't afford to pay hundreds of dollars to have an attorney answer your questions. This is especially true if you are injured and can't work. Or if you lost a family member in a work accident aboard a vessel.

So this is what we offer here: If you have a legal question about the Jones Act, Seaman Injuries or maritime law, and you want our advice - - we will answer the question for free. With no obligation.

Just fill out the contact form and tell us about the problem and we will provide a no cost response.*

* First, although no attorney client relationship is being created by us answering your question; we still consider our communications to be confidential. Meaning, we will not reveal them to any other person or entity. We will not provide your name and/or information to any other person and/or entity. We treat your privacy very seriously.

Second, This Free Legal Advice option does not apply to persons whom already have a lawyer. If you have the right lawyer, then they should be able to answer these questions.


This article is not legal advice. This article is simplistic in order to achieve clarity. Your workers compensation case, situation, and/or circumstances may be different than those described herein. If you are bringing a workers compensation claim, your credibility is always at issue. Meaning, if you get caught in a lie you will lose your case. Always tell the truth. Be sure and hire an honest California Workers Compensation Lawyer.

Se habla español.

William Turley
“When I seek out professional advice, I don’t want B.S., I want it straight up. I figure you do also.”

Live Chat