"We know the only way you sail away from the dock each time is to believe that it won't happen to you. That it only happens to Seaman that aren't careful and that isn't you. When it does happen to you, you need help. We have been helping seamen get their health back and their life back since the 1980's. We can help you too." San Diego Merchant Marine Lawyer Bill Turley
My Best Advice
When handling your Jones Act Case, you must always tell the truth. Nothing is more important then your credibility. If a judge assumes you are being dishonest, your case will be thrown out and you will be left with nothing. I have seen it happen to many people.
My Second Best Advice
Take the proper steps now, and do your research. Order my free book, Win your Injury Case: The Ultimate No B.S. Guide To Avoiding Insurance Company Tricks That Ruin Your Case [even before you hire a lawyer].
This book is loaded with TONS of information on winning your Jones Act Case.
What is the Merchant Marines?
The merchant marine, the commercial ships of a nation, whether privately or publicly owned. Merchant marine also means the personnel that sail on these ships. Merchant ships are used to transport people, raw materials, and manufactured goods.
The Biggest Misconception Injured Seaman Have of The Legal System
There's a huge misconception about the Jones act that needs to be dispelled right now for you to understand why you'll need a lawyer to fight for your benefits if you have been injured on a vessel:
Just because you have a legitimate injury and cannot work, it does not mean that you will receive Jones Act benefits or all the Jones Act benefits which you are entitled. That's because benefits are paid by your employer's insurance company, which has an arsenal of lawyers who are paid to deny your claim.
Helping Getting Past Your Injury
Our Jones Act lawyers can and will help you through these tough times. We will help you get past your vessel injury.
Our law firm is respected for the thoroughness of our work and for the results we achieve for Jones Act Seaman. Please contact us to learn whether we may be able to assist you with your Jones Act case.
We represent clients in San Diego County, throughout Southern California and the entire state.
The Jones act insurance company is providing all benefits. Should I wait to hire a Jones Act attorney?
In too many instances, injured Seamen wait too late to get a lawyer. They wait until after a crisis situation has arisen. Sometime, when this occurs it is simply too late. You should consider the following realities:
1. You are literally, at war with the insurance company. The insurance companies interests are far different from yours and your families. The insurance adjuster is not your friend. In fact, the insurance adjuster is the last one that your should be getting your legal advice from.
2. The legal system is heavily in favor of employers. The legal system is brutal to the unprepared. At every step in your case mistakes can be made that can and will result in you and your family getting a lot less than you deserve. The procedures and time limitations are daunting. Let's face it. The law is a collection of rules. If you don't know the rules, how are you going to win your case?
3. The Jones Act insurance company sure knows the rules. They hire adjusters and attorneys that know the rules forwards and backwards. They hire sharks. Literally. These sharks will eat up your case in a New York second. Depend on it. We sure do. So should you.
Don't wait until it is too late to hire a lawyer for your Seaman injury case. We ask that you make an appointment to meet with us so we can explain your rights and what we can do to help you and your family.
Seafarers that have these jobs all may qualify for the Jones Act Seaman.
Captain or skipper, 1st, 2nd and 3rd mate, and able seaman. They are responsible for the safe keeping of everyone on board the vessel and need to have in depth knowledge of all marine terminology and the workings of a ship.
Deckhands are required to have certification and are mainly responsible for the repairs, cleaning and maintenance on the vessel.
The oiler will be in charge of the keeping the engine and equipment lubricated and in good working order
The engine department jobs of chief engineer, dde (designated duty engineer), assistant engineer and engineer all require specific qualifications for working on a vessel.
Helping Injured Seaman Since 1987:
Since 1987, we have represented clients from all walks of life, from working class people to doctors and lawyers. As our client, we will utilize our experience and reputation to ensure that you receive the highest amount of compensation in the fastest time possible. We are committed to helping you through this difficult time. We have a reputation of excellence and have a high success rate in helping clients obtain maximum recovery for their injuries.
Don't Start Your Case Playing Catch Up
The most effective time to call us is right at the beginning-especially if you're filing for Jones Act benefits. There is no time like now to find experienced legal help.
Not having a lawyer in place before a claim for any type of benefits is denied can weaken your case because tight deadlines often leave too little time to gather the necessary medical exams and records for building a solid case. The best way to avoid this scenario is by contacting us before you think you might need a lawyer, so we can begin to educate you about the steps you'll face ahead.
The last thing you want to do is to start your case while trying to play catch-up with the insurance company. Just like in sports, it is best to be ahead and stay ahead with your case. Don't take the chance that you will be playing catch-up with the insurance company and their lawyers.
Our Reputation is Success
Since 1987, the insurance companies have respected us for how we fight for our clients. This respect is a benefit clients receive when they choose The Turley & Mara Law Firm, APLC. The recognition the legal industry has given us helps us succeed for our clients. You want a lawyer that is going to be able to stand up to the insurance company. You want a lawyer that is going to get the maximum recovery for your case. You don't want a lawyer that has a learning curve to understand the issues in your case. You want the best.
It's not what people say about themselves ... it is what other people say about them that you should consider...
2011 - 2017 Super Lawyer - Jones Act
Highest Rated Jones Act Attorney by Avvo.com San Diego / San Francisco
Invited Speaker at 2011 Maritime Personal Injury Seminar - Jones Act
Elected President of Consumer Attorneys
2011 New York Times Top Attorney
Why Trust The Turley & Mara Law Firm, APLC?
* Since 1987, The Turley & Mara Law Firm, APLC has worked tirelessly to help our clients recover. This includes recovering from their Jones Act injury, Maritime Injury or Boating Accident injury and/or personal injury physically, emotionally and monetarily
* Our firm is respected throughout California's legal community and courts
* Bill Turley is the highest rated San Diego Jones Act Lawyer in San Diego by AVVO.com
* Bill is the highest rated San Diego Maritime Lawyer in San Diego by AVVO.com
* Bill was elected President of the Consumer Attorneys of San Diego and elected to Board of Governors of Consumer Attorneys of California
* Bill is asked to lecture to other lawyers: Bill Turley to Speak at 2011 Maritime Injury Seminar
Disclaimer: Please understand these discussions and/or examples are not legal advice. All legal situations are different. This testimonial, endorsement and/or discussion does not constitute a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal matter, your particular case/ situation and/or this particular case/ situation. Thanks, Bill Turley