Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 866-705-4617
Phone: 619-234-2833
The Turley & Mara Law Firm, APLC

MWR Workers Who Are Seriously Injured - How To Get Workers’ Compensation Benefits? NIFA LHWCA

“If you are a seriously injured U.S. Navy Moral, Welfare and Recreation employee, my very best advice if for you to hire the very best NIFA/ LHWCA Lawyer that you can find. Because there is absolutely no way you are going to get the money compensation you deserve without a seasoned NIFA/ LHWCA Lawyer.”  - MWR Lawyer - Bill Turley

NIFA Attorney LHWCA Lawyer

My Best Advice

The Best thing you can do for you and your family while dealing with your Longshore Case, is to always tell the truth. No matter what. Your case depends on your honesty. If a judge suspects you are not being honest , then your case will be thrown out.

I have seen it many times in court. Trust me. Do not start a little white lie. Just be honest with your attorney and honest about your injury, and you will be better off.

My Second Best Advice

Order my free book, Win Your Injury Case: The Ultimate No B.S. Guide To Avoiding Insurance Company Tricks That Ruin Your Case [ even before you hire a lawyer]. It is full of helpful and useful information that will teach you what to do and not what to do when handling your Longshore Act Case.  Do your research folks, and you will succeed in court.

Need Help Today?

Give us a call. (619) 234-2833

United States Navy Moral, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) 

The Navy Morale, Welfare and Recreation Division administers a varied program of recreation, social and community support activities on U.S. Navy facilities worldwide. U.S. Navy MWR  programs provide active-duty, reserve and retired Navy personnel and their families with sports and physical fitness activities, child development and youth programs, and a variety of food and beverage services.  The United States Navy has MWR in most areas there are Navy personnel stationed in the United States, internationally, and in the fleet.

I Was Injured While Working For U.S. Navy Moral Welfare and Recreation, Am I Covered by Nonappropriated Fund Instrumentalities Act? 

The Nonappropriated Fund Instrumentalities Act (NIFA) is the workers’ compensation program for U.S. Navy MWR employees. MWR workers employed within the continental United States and MWR workers that work outside the United States that are United States citizens or permanent residents of the United States or a Territory are covered by NIFA.

What Is A Statute of Limitations?

Statute of limitations is a NIFA law that restricts the time within which legal proceedings may be brought. The statute of limitations is a defense that is ordinarily asserted by the MWR Lawyers to defeat an action brought against them by an injured MWR worker. Under the LHWCA/ NIFA ; there are two statute of limitations. A 30 day statute of limitations and a one year statute of limitations. Quite frankly, the only one most injured MWR workers have to be concerned about is the one year statute of limitations.

File Your Claim Within One Year of Your Injury And End Any "Arguments"

In a nutshell, we recommend that injured MWR workers file their claims with the US Department of Labor within one year of their date of injury. In essence, this ends the "argument" so to speak.

What If I Didn't File Your Claim With The U.S. Department Of Labor Within One Year?

We get calls from clients that have missed the one year statute of limitations. When this happens, there are many instances where we can "beat" the insurance company's statute of limitations defense. So, don't give up. Call us anyway. There are exceptions to the one year rule that often times allow us to beat the insurance company's statute of limitation defense.

Don't give a recorded statement or a written statement

It will only be used to deny your claim. If the adjuster tells you they need your statement in order to provide you with medical treatment or weekly compensation benefits, call a NIFA lawyer. Immediately. But don't give a statement.

We Represent Seriously Injured Navy MWR Workers Across America

Because we specialize in this area of the law, we accept cases from seriously injured MWR workers across America and the World.  We can help you and your family also.

How Can I Get Workers’ Compensation Benefits If I Am A Seriously Injured U.S. Navy MWR Employee?

In order to receive workers’ compensation benefits as a U.S. Navy MWR worker you are going to have to file and bring a claim under the Nonappropriated Fund Instrumentalities Act/ the Longshore Act.  

First, this means filing an LS-203 with the United States Department of Labor.  This is a Claim form.

Second, when your claim is denied or you are not getting the benefits you deserve, you are going to have request an Informal Conference with the U.S. Department of Labor Claims Examiner.  This won't be a matter of "if." Rather, it is a matter of "when."

At this point you will need medical evidence, wage records and such. This is called evidence to support your claim.

Third, you are going to need Recommendations issued by the Department of Labor Claims Examiner.

Fourth, if the Recommendations go against you or the MRW adjuster doesn’t follow the recommendations - then you are going to have to file an LS-18 and have you case sent to the Office of Administrative Law Judges for a Trial.

At this point, things start to get really, realy complicated.  The Judge is going to issue a Pre-Trial Order with many deadlines and such.  Know this, if you don’t follow the Judges Pre-Trial Order you will lose your case.

This is why you really need the best NIFA Lawyer you can find. Usually the longer you wait - the harder it will be to "fix" your case. 

A Local Lawyer vs. a Seasoned NIFA Lawyer

You are cautioned not to hire a “local lawyer” just because they are physically close to where you live. You need a lawyer that can take on and beat the MWR insurance company lawyers.  You don’t need a local workers’ compensation lawyer - you need a NIFA Lawyer.

Why Us Being Based In San Diego Is A Benefit To You

We are based in San Diego, California.  This is a benefit to you.  Few Nonappropriated Fund Instrumentalities Act lawyers have been handling NIFA cases longer than us.  The Nonappropriated Fund Instrumentalities Act falls under the Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act.  Which is actually part of Maritime Law.

Bill Turley has been handling Longshore Act cases since 1987.  Because San Diego has the largest shipyard on the west coast with thousands of shipyard workers, Bill gained valuable experience with these cases.

San Diego is the biggest military town in the United States. There are many, many injured Navy MWR workers in San Diego. Thus, lt makes sense that The Turley & Mara Law Firm, APLC is America’s Leading NIFA Law Firm.

We can help you get your life back

We stand up to the adjuster  that is trying to keep you from getting the medical treatment and  compensation benefits you deserve.

Disclaimer: Please understand these discussions and/or examples are not legal advice. All legal situations are different. This testimonial, endorsement and/or discussion does not constitute a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal matter, your particular case/ situation and/or this particular case/ situation. Thanks, Bill Turley

William Turley
“When I seek out professional advice, I don’t want B.S., I want it straight up. I figure you do also.”

Live Chat