The Defense Base Act
The Defense Base Act (DBA), created in 1941, extended the federal workers' compensation program for longshore and harbor workers, initially to persons working on American military bases abroad and then to most federal contractors working outside of the United States.
The DBA requires that many federal government contractors and subcontractors provide workers' compensation insurance for their employees who work outside of the United States.
This includeds overseas civilian contractors that ARE NOT American. It includes people from all over the world. That means it covers members of the U.K., which probably means you.
Am I covered under the Defense Base Act?
You are covered under the Defense Base Act if you fit into one of the following five categories:
1. Employees of private employers on any military, air, or naval base;
2. Employees of any employer upon any lands occupied or used by the United States for military or naval purposes in any Territory or possession outside the continental Untied States;
3. Employees who work on public works contracts overseas, if such employee is engaged in employment at such place under the contract of a contractor or subcontractor with the United States;
4. Employees who work on contracts approved and funded by the U.S. under the Foreign Assistance Act where such contract is to be performed outside of the U.S., which may include cash sale of military equipment, materials, and services to allies of the U.S.;
5. Employees working for an American employer outside the U.S. providing welfare or similar services for the benefit of the Armed Forces, irrespective of the place where the injury or death occurs, and shall include any injury or death occurring to any such employee during transportation to or from his place of employment, where the employer or the U.S. provides the transportation or the cost of.
When An Injury Changes or Ends Your Career
Defense Base Act claims are complex and often rife with emotion. Your ability to make a living may be jeopardized and your injuries severe enough that you may never be able to return to work you have done before the injury.
At The Turley & Mara Law Firm, APLC we attend to every detail and meet every deadline related to your Defense Base Act claim. The job of our attorneys is to handle all the legal aspects of your claim while you focus on recovery.
If you have suffered a work injury, don't delay in contacting an attorney. Many injured workers think that they can handle DBA insurance matters on their own. For them, it is often an issue of cost. What they do not realize is that an experienced lawyer can advocate for them throughout the entire process to maximize their chances of getting all of the benefits they deserve, not just some of them.
A World Wide Practice
We represent injured Defense Base Act workers that live across the world, not just ones based in America. We are the number one Defense Base Act Law Firm in the United States and one of the top two in the world. We have accomplished this by having the skills and experience to beat the DBA insurance companies and their lawyers AND win you all of the medical and financial benefits that you deserve.
Winning with the Truth
According to a paper published in Nature and based on a study by Nottingham University, British people were tanked the most honest people in the world.
If this is true then you are in a very good spot when it comes to your Defense Base Act case. This is because solid credibility is what wins DBA cases. No one wants to help out a liar, not you, not me, not the judge. This is why you have to be as honest as possible when it comes to your DBA claim. If the judge suspects for a minute that you are being dishonest, intentionally or unintentionally, about any detail regarding your case then your case will be over. I can personally guarantee it.
I heavily emphasize the value of truth and honesty because it’s how I win my cases. It’s how I develop my relationship with my clients in a beneficial and effective way. It’s why I wrote my book, Win Your Defense Base Act Case. This book covers everything you need to know and do to be as honest as possible when it comes to your DBA case.
I want you to win your case and I want to help you get there. You can do this.