Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 866-705-4617
Phone: 619-234-2833
The Turley & Mara Law Firm, APLC

I Was Injured While Employed By The Army Exchange

"No matter what type of injury you have suffered while working for the Army Exchange, you do not want to settle for anything less than what you deserve."    Army Exchange Workers' Compensation Lawyer - Bill Turley

Army Exchange Attorney - Bill Turley

The Exchange

The Army Exchanges are retail stores on Army bases across America and around the World.   The Exchange stores sell all types of merchandise to soldiers, their dependents and retirees. The Exchange employs more than 42,000 employees worldwide. Some 23 percent are military family members and 2 percent are active-duty military that work during off-duty hours.

What if I am seriously injured while working for the Army Exchange?

Employees of the Army Exchange are covered by a workers’ compensation program called the Nonappropriated Fund Instrumentalities Act (NIFA).  NIFA is actually an extension of the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA).

These cases are very, very different from State workers’ compensation claims. Time and again, seriously injured Army Exchange workers hire local lawyers versed in State workers’ compensation laws.  And time and again the Army Exchange Lawyers take apart these State Workers’ compensation Lawyer because they know nothing about the law and procedure for NIFA/ LHWCA cases.  You don’t want that to be  you and your case.

The Adjuster Sent me a Notice of Controversion - What Should I Do?

This is a very common question. The simple and easy answer is it's time to lawyer-up. It's time to find the very best NIFA Lawyer you can. However, we realize you might want more than "Hire a good NIFA Lawyer." While this is the best advice we can give you - we will also provide some candid insight.

What Is A LS-207 - - Notice of Controversion?

It is a form. But this form can really cause you a lot of problems. Under the law, the Navy Exchange is supposed to file an LS-207 - - Notice of Controversion when they cut off your benefits. It is called “LS” because of “Longshore.”

You Need To Read The Fine Print

The form LS-207 will usually state the reasons why the Army Exchange is denying your benefits. Read it carefully. Your job (or more correctly, your Army Exchange lawyer's Job) is to marshal the evidence in your case to over-come the reason(s) why they denying your NIFA claim.

Be Ready

In other words, you need to prepare today for the Army Exchange cutting off your weekly benefits or not approving needed medical care today. This is the number one reason why you need to lawyer up before your benefits are cut off. If you get an LS-207 Notice of Controversion in the mail - - don't wait - immediately hire the best NIFA Lawyer you can find.

Free Choice Physician - What Does That Really Mean?

Under NIFA/ LHWCA you have  a free choice of physician. You must request authorization from the Army Exchange to be treated by your  free choice physician. The Army Exchange must pay for the medical treatment furnished by your free choice physician.

Don't give a recorded statement or a written statement.

It will only be used to deny your claim. If the adjuster tells you they need your statement in order to provide you with medical treatment or weekly compensation benefits, call a NIFA lawyer. Immediately. But don't give a statement.

Don't sign any medical releases or employment releases.

If the adjuster tells you they need you to sign authorizations in order to provide your NIFA benefits, call a Nonappropriated Fund Instrumentalities Act attorney. Know this - - they are only looking for reasons to deny your claim. Don’t give them a release so they can use the information they get to deny your claim. Instead, call a seasoned NIFA Lawyer.

Why Us Being Based In San Diego Is A Benefit To You

We are based in San Diego, California.  This is a benefit to you.  Few Nonappropriated Fund Instrumentalities Act lawyers have been handling these cases longer than us.  The Nonappropriated Fund Instrumentalities Act falls under the Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act.  Which is actually part of Maritime Law.

Bill Turley has been handling Longshore Act cases since 1987.  Because San Diego has the largest shipyard on the west coast with thousands of shipyard workers, Bill gained valuable experience with these cases.

San Diego is the biggest military town in the United States. There are many, many injured Navy Exchange workers in San Diego. We were there for them and their family’s after they were seriously injured. Thus, lt makes sense that The Turley & Mara Law Firm, APLC is America’s Leading NIFA Law Firm.

We Represent Seriously Injured Army Exchange Workers Across America

Because we specialize in this area of the law, we accept cases from seriously injured Army Exchange workers across America and the World.  We can help you and your family also.

We Are Committed To Helping You in Four Ways

1.     Confident and helpful counsel to help you get the best medical treatment possible.
2.     Fight to help you get all the Nonappropriated Fund Instrumentalities Act (NIFA) money compensation you are entitled to under the law.
3.     A lawyer that will help you get the opportunity to recover from your injuries so that you can get your life back.    
4.     A seasoned third party work injury analysis to help you maximize your recovery.

We Can Help - Today

The Turley & Mara Law Firm, APLC and their staff are ready to help you immediately.  You deserve help from a lawyer who understands your situation and how to help you in this difficult time. We fight hard to get you the best medical care.  We  fight hard to get you all the compensation which you are entitled under the law.  Our goal is help you get your life back together.

We Protect You When You Are Hurt

We know how difficult it can be for an injured Army Exchange worker and their family after they have suffered a serious work injury.  Contact us to get the help you need and can trust to make it through this difficult time

We stand up to the adjuster  that is trying to keep you from getting the medical treatment and  compensation benefits you deserve.

Call 619-234-2833 or 866-705-4617 

Disclaimer: Please understand these discussions and/or examples are not legal advice. All legal situations are different. This testimonial, endorsement and/or discussion does not constitute a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal matter, your particular case/ situation and/or this particular case/ situation. Thanks, Bill Turley

William Turley
“When I seek out professional advice, I don’t want B.S., I want it straight up. I figure you do also.”

Live Chat