Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 866-705-4617
Phone: 619-234-2833
The Turley & Mara Law Firm, APLC

What to Do If You Develop Lung Issues After Working as a Civilian Contractor

Comments (0)

"Integrity: doing the right thing for the right reason." – Bill Turley

Defense Base Act Attorney DBA Lawyer

The First Thing You Must Do

The first thing you must do is always tell the truth. No matter what it is you are worried about, you must always be honest and never sugarcoat anything to the judge or you attorney. If you do, then you will lose your case. Trust me, I have seen it time and time again. Do not be that person.

The Next Step

Before you even think about signing any forms from the DBA insurance company, you need to do your research. Order my free book, Win Your Defense Base Act Case: The Ultimate Straight Talk Roadmap To The Medical Treatment and Money You and Your Family Deserve. It is full of information that will benefit you with your road to recovery and peace of mind after becoming an injured DBA contractor.  

Read the 5 Star Amazon reviews written by overseas contractors like yourself, trust me, you will thank me later.

Also you can check out my podcast at DBAradio.com where i cover important DBA issues.

Need Help Today?

If you need help now, give us at call at (619) 234-2833.

Defense Base Act Lung Injuries

Exposure to smoke, dust, chemical, and other potentially dangerous substances can create serious lung problems if the right safety gear isn’t provided or used, and it’s been a big issue for civilian contractors returning from work in Iraq, Afghanistan, and other areas around the world. If you were previously healthy but developed breathing difficulties or other respiratory issues after working overseas, here are two steps you should take immediately:

  • See a doctor. Your health is the first priority, and seeing a doctor also helps you document the illness. When you talk to your doctor, remember to include important information like when you started noticing problems, the kinds of materials or pollutants you were exposed to while working overseas, and how you think your lung or breathing issues may be related to your work.
  • Find out about your rights under the Defense Base Act. If you developed a lung disorder while overseas, you may be able to recover compensation for your medical bills and other expenses under the Defense Base Act (DBA). Keep in mind that you will need to be proactive about asserting your rights, and time limits do apply, even when problems are discovered after you’ve already returned home.

Whether you’re here on the site today because you have developed medical issues after working as a civilian contractor or you are trying to find information for a family member, seeing a doctor and getting informed are great first steps—but you’ll have to follow through if you want to get the money your family deserves. If you or your family members have any questions about injury benefits or the Defense Base Act, don’t hesitate to talk with the best DBA attorney you can find for specific answers about your case.

Don't do nothing (Do something)

Doing nothing is not the right answer. Not medically and certainly not legally.  Every day that you wait may make it tougher to prevail in your Defense Base Act claim.  If nothing else, call a DBA law firm.  Reach out for someone to help  you start your DBA claim.

Disclaimer: Please understand these discussions and/or examples are not legal advice. All legal situations are different. This testimonial, endorsement and/or discussion does not constitute a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal matter, your particular case/ situation and/or this particular case/ situation. Thanks, Bill Turley

William Turley
“When I seek out professional advice, I don’t want B.S., I want it straight up. I figure you do also.”
Be the first to comment!

Post a Comment

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."


Email:* (will not be published)


Notify me of follow-up comments via email.

Live Chat