“When I seek out professional advice, I don’t want B.S. I want it straight up, with no double talk. I figure you do also. I always use plain English, with no sugarcoating, no B.S. lawyer talk, and no double talk-just old fashioned, unsweetened, unvarnished truth-just the way that I would want it.” -Bill Turley
When handling your DBA case, nothing matters more then the honest truth. Nothing. You must be straight forward and honest about your case. I have seen many instances where a client will sugar coat their injury and the courts throw out the case. Why? All because they were not honest from the get go.
The DBA insurance company is not on your side. They have traps laying around for you to fall in. And bet on it, if you do not follow the proper steps with your DBA case, you will fall right in.
Remember the DBA insurance company is not your friend. I strongly suggest you order a free copy of my book, Win Your Defense Base Act Case: The Ultimate Straight Talk Roadmap To The Medical Treatment and Money You and Your Family Deserve. The book has plenty of great 5 Star reviews on Amazon, and it is a guide to only help you succeed in your case.
Trust me. My only goal here is to make sure honest hard working folks like you, do not get ripped off by these companies.
Need help right now?
Call us today at (619) 234-2833 or you can fill out the contact form on this web page.
What are the rules for choosing and changing physicians under the Defense Base Act?
If you follow this website you realize that there are two central themes here. First, always tell the truth. You have to be able to win your case with the truth. Nothing is more important that your credibility.
Second, I don't pull punches. If you want beating around the bush - you have come to the wrong place. If you want brutal, frank truth, no matter what - stick around.
When you get down to it, nothing is more important than your health. When you are seriously injured, you need to get the best medical treatment possible. In the Defense Base Act world, that isn't as easy as it may first appear.
You need to know there are rules about which doctors you can see—and even some you are required to see—in order to maintain eligibility for your DBA benefits.
Choosing and Changing Doctors With Your Defense Base Act Benefits
The most important thing to remember about choosing a treating physician for your injury is that you only get one free choice. If you disagree with the doctor you have chosen, you cannot change doctors unless you have your employer’s permission to do so. For this reason, it is vital to select your treating doctor very carefully.
Here are a few more things to be wary of when seeking treatment for a DBA injury:
- Defense medical evaluations. Your DBA insurance carrier can require you to attend a medical evaluation by a doctor who is in its employ or whom the insurer has chosen. You will have to attend this medical evaluation, or your compensation can be suspended. This does not affect your ability to choose and visit your own physician for treatment, and you are not required to be treated by any doctor chosen by your employer or insurance company. Even worse, the insurance companies call these doctors "Independent Medical Evaluations" or IME's. Know this, 95% of the time there is nothing "Independent" about these doctors.
- Specialized care. Your DBA benefits should cover any reasonable and necessary medical treatment related to your injury. However, your employer or insurer may only pay for specialized care that is located near your home. For example, you have the right to consult with an orthopedic surgeon if your injury requires it, but your employer does not have to pay for one who is located hundreds of miles away, even if you prefer that surgeon’s care.
- Fees. All of the fees you incur at your medical appointments should be reimbursed by the DBA insurance company, including mileage, prescription medication costs, copays, etc.
- Referrals. Your free choice physician can refer you to other medical specialties and/or specialists. For example, an orthopedist doctor can refer you to a neurologist.
- Choice. Choose very, very carefully. If you choose the wrong "fee choice physician" it can be very, very damaging to your case.
If you are meeting with resistance from the DBA insurance company about your medical care or other costs related to your injury, I suggest your read my book. Do it before you choose your free choice physician, talk to the DBA insurance company adjuster, sign any forms, give any statements, or even hire the wrong lawyer. Even if you have made any of these mistakes already, you need to get a free copy of my book. If you order the book, we will UPS it to you on either that business day or the next business day and we will cover shipping.