"Truth is the secret of eloquence and of virtue, the basis of moral authority; it is the highest summit of art and of life."
- Henri-Frederic Amiel
Look if you have been injured overseas by aiding earthquake relief efforts than you probably have a Defense Base Act (DBA) Case on your hands. This mean you are probably going to need a very good DBA lawyer and that you are going to need to prepare yourself for a real fight against the DBA insurance companies.
I want to make sure you win your DBA case simply because I hate losing more than I love winning. So let this article be your resource to staying ahead of the DBA insurance companies and win your case:
Let's Start at The Top
While most Defense Base Act workers will risk their lives on a daily basis, civilian contractors who provide disaster relief to foreign countries face a very specific set risks that are just as dangeous. Relief workers may be placed in areas that have little protection, sanitation, or defense against further devastation. This causes U.S. citizens to suffer injuries alongside the nationals they are trying to help.
Earthquake Relief Workers may face a number of injury risks including:
- Aftershocks. The earthquake that struck Nepal in 2015 caused avalanches on Mount Everest, leveled homes, and left thousands of survivors homeless. The aftershocks were so powerful they damaged even more buildings and made many people afraid to go back to their unsound homes for fear of collapse.
- Terrorist attacks. There may be a nearby threat of terrorism that prevents workers from getting through to the people who need help. Airport closures, insurgencies, and bomb threats can all cut off access to remote areas and cause injuries to workers.
- Travel. Even if the roads are clear of human threat, travel in foreign countries can still be perilous. Mountainous terrain, flooding, and high altitudes can all cause injuries or deaths, even for the highly-trained military members.
- Construction. In addition to the homes that will need to be rebuilt, hospitals may be overrun or in disrepair, making constant construction a necessity. Aid workers who are building structures around the clock may suffer heat stroke, falls from scaffolding, or other injuries.
- Diseases. Thousands of displaced people living in close quarters can quickly become a hotbed for diseases to spread quickly. If sanitation issues are not addressed, food and water may become contaminated, leading to a disease outbreak. One example of this was the cholera epidemic that followed the recent earthquakes in Haiti.
An Uphill Battle
Unfortunately, many Earthquake relief workers will face an uphill battle when trying to claim the benefits that they are entitled to. Prety much all of the DBA insurance companies will deny legitimate claims. By denying legitimate claims by any worker covered under the DBA when they can allows them to make more money. Which, for them, is more important than your well-being. It's just the harsh reality of things.
To combat the DBA insuance company in court you are going to need to do things: Always tell the truth and be prepared.
Theres a reason this article starts off with a nice little truth-related quote. When you are an injured Earthquake Relief Worker, nothing is more important then telling the truth when it comes to your case. You must be completely honest and up-front about everything, to anyone, all the time.
I have seen many DBA Cases thrown out of the court simply because the claimant exaggerated the pain from the injury, the injury itself or the event that caused the injury. Just save yourself and your lawyer the trouble and just be honest.
Being prepared requires research and studying, much like a test at school. So I recommend to start reading everything you can about the DBA law system so you are prepared for every scenario.
You can start easy by ordering my FREE book, Win Your Defense Base Act Case: The Ultimate Straight Talk Roadmap To The Medical Treatment and Money You and Your Family Deserve.
If you don't think that this book will be of much use to you you can see all these reviews from injured civilian contractors just like you that have used this book to help them prep and win their DBA cases.